SRWG
What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Printable Version

+- SRWG (http://srwg-w.org)
+-- Forum: Initialized Visual Reception (http://srwg-w.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Tokyo Jupiter (http://srwg-w.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? (/showthread.php?tid=761)

What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Kicksville - 01-07-2019

So it recently came to my attention here that all of Blazing Epilogue had been subbed. To my knowledge only the first was done many years ago, and it seemed like ever since then, nobody wanted to touch it, as it has long had a reputation for being awful.

Why, exactly? Well, I'd never seen it spelled out, but my expectations for the Dancougar franchise have long been pretty low: the first half or so of the show is very boring, having a likeable cast and not a bad setting, but seemingly not having much interesting for them to do in it. It only gets good towards about the last third, which is some good proper anime shit, even if it's not the best or anything. The God Bless Dancougar movie follow up mostly gets credit for looking good, but is basically just fine.

I had my theories, of course: probably back to the same boring stuff, or maybe it's incomplete, or maybe the animation craps out towards the end (its four episodes were released 1989 to 1990, and that's how it went for a few productions around then).

So after having finally seen it all I have to say is...

Huh???

Seriously, someone explain to me what is so bad about this thing.

It's like...fine. At worst, it's fairly middling story that's about what you'd expect from Dancougar, and at best, well, frankly, it's one of the better looking entries and possibly has one of the better stories compared to the others, even if that's only saying so much.

Like...I don't really get what stands out as so offensive about this one. The post at /m/ subs for it could barely contain the contempt but like...for what??

I mean...here's my best guess:

Spoiler Show
-Masato is rendered out of action for the last episode, basically frozen and has to have his spirit or whatever conveyed through a device so Dancougar will still work combined. It's implied that he's just fine and beating the plant planet will fix him right up, but it ends without us ever seeing this.

-Shapiro comes back, largely without his memory, only to die again. He gets to take Masato's place in the Dancougar temporarily, although it does partially backfire. This means he doesn't get to ham it up to his full extent. (I actually thought this was somewhat clever - him indirectly causing more problems for the Earth without a stereotypical BWAHAHAHA I RETURN set up, and Sara drawing out the only bit of good he had left)

Which is like...okay. But it's nothing so offensive as to make this such a black sheep of the franchise. I mean, I get stuff like Shining Heresy for VOTOMS, which is like 90% good except that one thing they did right at the end, but...this doesn't have anything nearly that severe.

So...like...what? Is this just the opinion of a few people that everyone else has been parroting sight unseen for years? That's kinda the impression I'm getting here.

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - AceWhatever - 01-08-2019

I only watched it raw a few years ago, but from what I can remember it's mostly pointless and irredeemable. The two spoilers you mentioned are pretty big problems and simply did not need to happen. I find the series in general to be garbage so I don't hate Blazing in particular as much.

There's a not insignificant portion of mecha fans who actually think Dancouga is balls to the walls awesome for some unfathomable reason and those are most likely the ones who hate Blazing so intensely.

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - KachiKirby - 01-09-2019

(01-08-2019, 07:34 PM)AceWhatever Wrote: There's a not insignificant portion of mecha fans who actually think Dancouga is balls to the walls awesome for some unfathomable reason and those are most likely the ones who hate Blazing so intensely.

From what I know about most mecha fans, they probably say Dancouga is awesome just because Masami Obari worked on it and many of them see him as a God that makes anything he works on automatically awesome. (And to those people, I point to the trainwreck known as Gundam Build Divers)

I'm not denying that the guy is talented, I'm just saying the guy's still human and not everything he makes is absolutely perfect.

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Samuraiter - 01-09-2019

I have never witnessed the loathing, and the version of Blazing Epilogue I have is unsubbed, so ... I have no idea.

One thing I do know: Obari is no God. He does good mecha designs, and he occasionally directs something neat (Detonator Orgun), but I absolutely hate how he does character design.

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Kicksville - 01-09-2019

(01-08-2019, 07:34 PM)AceWhatever Wrote: There's a not insignificant portion of mecha fans who actually think Dancouga is balls to the walls awesome for some unfathomable reason and those are most likely the ones who hate Blazing so intensely.

I suppose so. Come to think of it, I had a friend who hated Dancougar - not because he ever actually saw it, but because he knew a guy back in the VHS days who would NEVER shut up about it.

Still, it seems funny to me that this particular "getting the gang back together one more time" installment would be seen as any worse than God Bless Dancougar, which is more or less the same thing but somewhat less gutsy. I guess that's all it takes!

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Sagara Sousuke - 01-09-2019

As someone who likes Dancouga. This is just an honest opinion/sum up about Blazing Epilogue.

1. Kills God Bless Dancouga's perfect ending about the main couple and screws it up.
2. New villains kinda mimic the old villains. Some are resurrected.
3. A said CBF member gets out of commission status. Said resurrected villain becomes a backup pilot for Dancouga and the remaining 3 CBF members get stranded in space and with no way back to Earth.

RE: What's so bad about Dancouga Blazing Epilogue anyway?? - Kicksville - 01-09-2019

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the response. I suppose I didn't really see it that way, since Sara DID get Shinobu to come back from being a race car hobo, and the ship Professor Hazuki was on didn't get blown up, so I took it as a given they'd be picked up afterwards.