SRWG
How Asia saved the series - Printable Version

+- SRWG (http://srwg-w.org)
+-- Forum: Video Game Hub (http://srwg-w.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Super Robot Wars (http://srwg-w.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How Asia saved the series (/showthread.php?tid=739)

Pages: 1 2 3

How Asia saved the series - MegaMustaine - 12-03-2018

I found something really interesting coming from the Sony awards

Quadruple Platinum Prize
Software titles with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over four million copies.
  • Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)
Platinum Prize
Software titles with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over one million copies.
  • The Last of Us Remastered (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Persona 5 (Atlus)
Gold Prize
Software titles with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of over 500,000 copies.
  • Call of Duty: WWII (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • God of War (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Gran Turismo Sport (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 (Konami)
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 (Konami)
  • Super Robot Wars V (Bandai Namco Entertainment)

In other words, what we thought a flop could distribute more than 500k copies. Considering that in Japan it hardly achieved the 200k limit, it seems that the Asian version doubled the japan copies, which explain well because they are so interested in the Asian market

RE: How Asia saved the series - Mattman324 - 12-03-2018

Japan sold 200k PHYSICALLY, that counted Digital sales though.

RE: How Asia saved the series - Shear - 12-03-2018

Actually it was noticable less than 200k physically (between 150k and 200k) assuming another 50k-100k for digital means the Asia sales still ended up being a hefty chunk of the sales.

RE: How Asia saved the series - Kicksville - 12-04-2018

I wonder if that had any influence on why X subsequently had a better localization (which I hope continues with T).

RE: How Asia saved the series - MegaMustaine - 12-04-2018

(12-03-2018, 11:35 PM)Shear Wrote: Actually it was noticable less than 200k physically (between 150k and 200k) assuming another 50k-100k for digital means the Asia sales still ended up being a hefty chunk of the sales.

I remember a declaration where they said they were really happy of the asian sales. This data make srt v the first succesful SRT after years of consecutive downfall in the sales. Se have to return to z1-alpha series to find a game that sold more than 500k

RE: How Asia saved the series - Kicksville - 12-04-2018

(12-04-2018, 12:11 AM)Kicksville Wrote: I wonder if that had any influence on why X subsequently had a better localization (which I hope continues with T).

Come to think of it, it was also a bit shocking how much new stuff T has relative to X - given the likely development timeline, they probably had already started on X without knowing how hard V hit. So I don't doubt by the time that became clear, maybe they got a bigger budget or more help or something for T.

RE: How Asia saved the series - Top Nep - 12-04-2018

In the case of X, it probably didn't need such a massive development time as most of the work was just reused from V. But T on the other hand they're going all out with so many new entries, as well as bringing back much wanted old favorites like GG and GGGG that need special time anc dare to make. I believe I remember seeing the above mentioned article as well where they had said that the sales in the Asia region were much higher then they expected. Though in the west not so much.

With T they most likely decided to go all out now that they know they have a big standing in the Asian territories. The interview from a few days ago even talked about how some of these new shows were more popular outside of Japan.

RE: How Asia saved the series - Mattman324 - 12-04-2018

(12-03-2018, 11:35 PM)Shear Wrote: Actually it was noticable less than 200k physically (between 150k and 200k) assuming another 50k-100k for digital means the Asia sales still ended up being a hefty chunk of the sales.

...253,000 is between 150k and 200k? You’re maybe thinking of X, as the last time we got numbers it was at around 137000 or so and its likely poked into the 150k region since, but V is over that.

RE: How Asia saved the series - Top Nep - 12-04-2018

It some times takes a while for sales to kick in. Some people only pick up the game once it reaches a heavy discounted price, or right before the release of the next Entry. It always possible X could garner more sales. Though probably nowhere near V's 500K mark.

Some games even take years. I remember last gen no one cared about Valkyria Chronicles. But once it hit the $20 bargain bin, it suddenly became a huge successes over night.

RE: How Asia saved the series - MegaMustaine - 12-04-2018

maybe, they could even make a rebranding of the og series, using the originals of the last games